If you are a proud parent—or pet owner—you may know more than most that keeping your carpets free of stains can be quite difficult. From spilled food and drinks to common pet stains, a carpet can gather multiple stains pretty quickly. And if you have lightercolored carpet, stains may be the last thing you want to see. Do you have a new stain on your carpet? Here are 8 easy do-it-yourself carpet cleaning tips to be rid of those common household stains, fast:
- General, Light Carpet Stains – Mix half a cup of white vinegar with 2 tablespoons of salt. Rub some of the solution onto the stain with a clean, white cloth and let it dry. Afterward, vacuum the remaining salt particles. For larger, darker carpet stains, add in 2 tablespoons of borax to the above mixture.
- Ground-in Dirt and Tough Stains – Mix a tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Apply it to the dirt/stain with a dry, clean white cloth. Let the solution sit on the stain for roughly 48 hours, then vacuum. Club soda also works too!
- Paint – Make sure you remove as much paint as you can with a sponge as soon as you notice the spill. Then, mix 1 ½ teaspoons of vinegar with 1 ½ teaspoons of laundry detergent and 2 cups of water and apply the solution to the remaining stain. Rinse with cold water.
- Fruit and fruit juice stains – Create a solution with 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent with 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar and 2 cups of water. Apply the solution to the stain and blot with a clean, white cloth. You can also use shaving cream to remove juice stains!
- Coffee and tea stains – Mix equal parts water and white vinegar and blot the stain with a clean white cloth. Club soda on these stains works just as easily, too.
- Grease/oil stains – Apply shaving cream directly to the stain, let it dry, and then remove the shaving cream by rubbing with a damp soft cloth. You can also use cornstarch alone as a way to soak up fresh grease stains.
- Ink stains – Mix a small amount of milk with cornstarch to make a paste. Apply the mixture to the ink stain. Let it dry over the stain for a few hours, then brush off the residue and vacuum.
- Pet stains – Wipe up what you’re able to, then pour baking soda over the stain. Pat the area with a paper towel. Let the baking soda dry over the stain and then vacuum.
By following the above tips, you can help reduce the severity of a stain, or even completely eliminate it! In addition to these tips, be sure to call our specialized technicians at Lone Star Pro Services to perform a routine professional carpet cleaning. Our thorough cleaning will also help reduce and eliminate carpet stains, both new and old.